Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Social media: MLM or late-night infomercial?

Here's a question I recently posted on LinkedIn:

Is social media like MLM or maybe late-night infomercials?

Here's what I mean.  It seems like there is a handful of people who use social media well to make a very good living.  They are, in many ways, professional social media users who have very successfully leveraged their online "brands" into lucrative careers.

At the same time, it seems like these careers are centered around telling others how they, too, can create social media success.  I can't get the image of the late-night infomercial out of my head.  "Follow my simple 12-step program and YOU TOO can enjoy life as I do!"

Don't misunderstand.  I'm not "anti-social media."  I'm simply making an observation and wonder if anyone agrees.

No comments: